Before You Start Your Loan With Anyone – Do These 5 Things:
Finding the right mortgage lender for you is important. Sure, getting the lowest rate is important. But, selecting a mortgage lender should be based on more than just the lowest rate. Gather a few rate quotes, and then follow up with some research and interviews before you choose the lender who is right for you
Here are Before You Start Your Loan With Anyone – Do These 5 Things:
- Check the Mortage Company’s Repuation on the BBB
- Independently investigate current rates.
- Rates change daily, sometimes hourly. Know the “best” rates available when you begin your conversation with your lender. Ask questions about which rates apply to you.
- Experian – http://www.experian.com/consumer-products/free-credit-report.html
- Transunion – https://www.transunion.com/
- Equifax – https://ww2.equifax.com/education/credit/report/how-to-get-your-free-credit-report
- Know your credit score.
- The lender will need your FICO score, but your credit score from the largest credit reporting agencies will give you a good idea of where you stand.
- Check for a Valid Mortgage Lender License
- The Department of Business Oversight (DBO) Self-Service Portal offers convenient online services to consumers and companies and individuals seeking to ensure the businesses have a valid license from the California DBO.
- Talk to your loan originator
- Getting a loan is personal. You must feel comfortable sharing very personal information about you and your financial situation. Pick up the phone, meet them in person…whatever makes you more comfortable to make the loan process easier for you.